Wednesday, June 18, 2008

God's Silence in the Midst of Suffering

I have been thinking a lot lately about faith--mine, in particular. There is so much suffering in our world and it seems so dark at times that sometimes I wonder where God is in the midst of it all. And where is God in the midst of some of the difficulties I personally have been enduring lately? I know that my faith is being tested and I am reminded of this scripture: 'Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.' This scripture reminds me that my suffering is a gift and that God wants me to find pure joy in it. It reminds me that I am coming to know Jesus more. And in a miraculous Holy Spirit kind of way, I am thankful.

I came across this article today and it is just another eye opener to me of how much I still don't even get what it means to suffer. I have such a cush life and my cush life makes me so unaware of all the suffering that is going on around the world in the name of Jesus. It reminds me that faith is not always a 'feel good' kind of experience. Maybe that feel good kind of experience is for the weak of faith? Maybe strong faith is when we seek him wholeheartedly even when he is silent or seems distant.

No comments: