Thursday, August 21, 2008

running thoughts

I was reading in Runner's World the other day that Deena Kastor, USA Olympian marathoner, has little 'one liners' or sentences that she repeats over and over in her head to keep her motivated while she is running. Here are the thoughts that I repeat over and over as I run:
  • Isaiah 40:31: And those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar like wings on eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
  • Hebrews 12:1: therefore, since we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off the sin that so easily entangles and run with perseverance the race marked out for me.
  • Phil. 4:13: I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me.
  • No excuses, no exceptions, no explanations. Do what you do. (from Tony Dungy's book: Quiet Strength)
  • Mind of Steel - I don't know where this came from--maybe I made it up?
  • God is Who He says He is, God Can Do what He says He can do, I am who God says I am, I can do all things through Christ, God's Word is alive and active in me, I'M BELIEVING GOD! (from Beth Moore's Believing God bible study)
  • Give it all to Jesus: Ready, Steady, Go! (For those of you that don't know, this is a song)

So, all you runners out there, what thoughts do you focus on to encourage you?

Also, I am going to focus on a different bible verse for each mile during the marathon. So far I have: Isaiah 40:31, Hebrews 12:1-3, Romans 5:4-5 and 2 Cor. 12:9-10. I have been doing this for my last two 'long runs' and it has helped me tremendously! I would love any input on verses...Please share any that have been particularly helpful to you. Thanks :)

No comments: