Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Marathon Lesson #2

About half way through my training, I became so tired, bored and burnt out with my 'route.' I was running the same route over and over, with minor variations to adapt for the mileage my training schedule called for. Simply put, I was in a 'route rut'. While I was aware of my 'route rut', it took weeks of 'pounding the same pavement' before I finally took action. Maybe this is because I can be the queen of procrastination. Maybe it was fear--it can be intimidating to change things up, when things are going along okay. FINALLY, one night before a long run, Eric and I charted out a new course for me. Wow, what a difference it made in my running the next day! I felt like a new person! I felt like there was spring to my step that wasn't there before! I felt renewed and refreshed. My running went to a new level as I left that 'okay' and 'ho hum' stage.


So often, I get into a 'route rut' in my life. You know, the same old, same old. I stay in my comfort zone. I don't change things up--I stick with the 'comfortable'. I put God in a box, expecting Him to work in the same way over and over and over. I put my head down and do my tasks for the day and miss out on seeing God in a new way because I am so caught up in my 'route'--my agenda. I get 'comfortable' among my group of friends, hanging out with the same people over and over and miss out on God working among other relationships that God brings in my circle. If God is working in our lives, we should not be stagnant; we should not be 'ho hum'. We should be ever changing, moving to a new place and a new level of intimacy. I should embrace the changes God brings into my life and seek the adventure, excitement and new energy that accompanies that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love these thoughts! Sometimes I feel like Lucy is running her own marathon when we do day after day of therapy that seems the same and I am struggling to find a way to make it new or interesting for me or Lucy. I am just as prone to keeping my head down and not seeing all the wonderful things God is doing around us. He is working, Praise God! Thanks for the inspiration to quit looking at the cheddar bunnies on my floor and look up to see what God is doing next!

Maria said...

cathy,
I am so glad to be able to catch up with you through blogland! Wow--four children now--how awesome! What you are doing with Lucy sounds amazing. And I love the name of your blog--its perfect :)