Saturday, September 27, 2008

I AM TAPERING

Recently, a runner friend and I were talking 'training' (yes, I do that kind of thing now--I feel so runneresque). She asked me if I was tapering yet. 'What the heck is tapering?' I thought to myself, 'a new breathing technique?' Confessing that I didn't know what she meant, she explained that tapering is the two or three weeks prior to your marathon when you start to decrease your mileage. She told me there was a really good article about tapering in the most recent Runner's World magazine. When I got home I read it. It explained that it is very important to taper those two or three weeks before your event so that your body has ample rest time. There was a poll on whether people like to taper or not. It said: 26% love the rest and free time; 55% know it's good for them but feel antsy; 7% could take it or leave it; 5% think it's harder than training; 8% hate it. WHAT IN THE WORLD? I mean seriously? Ok, I know there are those die hard, ultra competitive runners out there but you mean to tell me the majority of people have a hard time with 'rest and free time'???? You've got to be kidding me!

I guess you can tell which group I fall in...as of yesterday, I am officially TAPERING and I am going to enjoy every minute of it! No worries, I won't be trying to run more than my training schedule tells me. Nope. Not me.

--IT IS OFFICIAL--

I AM TAPERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------YEA, YEA, YEA, YEA, YEA---------------------------

No comments: